Monday, October 8, 2012

Getting Started in Earnest

Since July, some of my friends have heard me babble incoherently about Abbie's upcoming Bat Mitzvah.  When asked the date, and I say  
24 August 2013, my listener is instantly lost since that seems so very far away from today.  The reality is, this is a massive undertaking and will require the upcoming year to plan and execute - and the fact that I am working from a limited and fixed income is a serious challenge!

We are now down to 10 MONTHS, having had to pause any serious planning over the past month because of our Fall holiday season.  According to all the checklists, this is what we should have accomplished by now:

2 Years:
  • Obtain the date [DONE]
  • Set your budget [DONE]
  • Decide on type of event [DONE]
  • Estimate number of guests [DONE]
  • Book reception hall [RESERVED, sign contract in May ]
  • Book a photographer  [NO IDEA!!!]
1 1/2 Years: 
  • Book a DJ [NO IDEA!!!]
  • Decide on theme and color scheme [DONE]
12 to 6 Months:  (WE ARE HERE, FOLKS!)
  • Child starts formal lessons & tutoring [DONE- IN PROGRESS]
  • Decide on centerpieces, etc. [DONE]
  • Start looking at invitation designs & prices [IN PROGRESS]

As I share this adventure with my friends and family, I hope you will join in.  If you have been through this before, and have some suggestions for me, PLEASE let me know!  I am mostly flying blind on this project and need all the help I can get.  I am convinced it is going to "take a village" to get us through this, so I hope I will hear from you, if just for your encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment